Sunday, May 2, 2010

Cancel My Subscription...Cause I Don't Want Your Breastfeeding Issues

This week had many ups and downs. Cooper slept through the night for the first time last Sunday night! I woke up feeling so incredibly refreshed. He slept for 7 hours straight, and I figured out that it has probably been at least 9 months since I have slept that long without interruption (due to those pregnancy potty breaks at 3 am). Everything seems so much easier with sleep!

(Warning: This next part is kind of personal and graphic. It's about "woman" things, and stuff that may make some people uncomfortable.) While I did wake up rested, I also woke up full. Cooper skipped his 3 am feeding, and by the morning, I was ready to nurse! Cooper ate well on one side but surprisingly went back to sleep. He didn't eat well throughout the day, and I did pump a little. It crossed my mind that I might have a blocked milk duct, but I figured that I was just feeling a little engorged because of the skipped night feeding. After work that night, I was sore and felt achy. I knew I was starting to feel feverish, but I wasn't sure if it was from being tired or not. The next day, I was still really sore even though Cooper was nursing well. I was out running errands and got so busy that I didn't pay attention to how much I hurt. I began to feel really bad physically, and when I looked down to nurse around lunchtime, I was shocked. Half of my breast had developed big red blotches. I knew then that I was probably developing mastitis (a breast infection). What really surprised me was just how quickly it developed.

I immediately called the lactation consultant and explained what was going on. She called in antibiotics for me until I could get in to see her the next day. She also gave me instructions on what to do to ease my problem. I pretty much already knew what to do, but she gave me a few more helpful hints.

SIDE NOTE: One of the things that has helped me soooo much with breastfeeding is the book put out by La Leche League called The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. If you know of anyone who is planning on breastfeeding, it is an invaluable book. It covers everything from how to increase your milk supply after a C-section to treating a blocked duct to nursing multiples, etc. I got this book on the recommendation of my midwife when I was pregnant with Gracie. I read the chapter on beginning breastfeeding about once a month before she came, and by the time Gracie was born, I pretty much knew how to get her to latch on, etc. It took a lot of the guesswork out of those first few days. The book also had tips on how to spot mastitis and what to do for it.

By that night, I felt horrible and my fever quickly went up to 100.4. It took about a day for the antibiotics to kick in and until then I got worse. It was sooooo painful. Everything I did with my upper body hurt. I couldn't really pick up Gracie and had to be careful holding Cooper because any kind of pressure on my chest hurt so bad. I had a really hard time functioning on Wednesday morning, but I started feeling much better that night. The infection seemed to clear up fairly quickly, but I was really, really sore for several days. Breastfeeding is really, really important to me. I totally understand that some people just can't do it or it doesn't work out for them. However, I decided a few years ago when I was first pregnant that I would try my hardest to breastfeed all of my children. That being said, I was almost ready to throw in the towel this week. I was not about to live with that kind of pain for an extended amount of time.

I am doing much, much better now, and I am so thankful for the kind and understanding lactation consultant that helped me (Karen Thomas at Habersham Ob/Gyn- she is the bomb). I have had more problems breastfeeding Cooper than I have with Gracie, and it has been a bit humbling. I have actually considered becoming a lactation consultant in the future, but I doubt I'll actually pursue it (unless the Lord leads me to). I breastfed Gracie for 11.5 months, and hopefully I can continue (problem-free) feeding Cooper for many weeks to come.

So, why in the world am I putting all of this stuff on my blog for people to read? I hope maybe one day it might help someone who may be dealing with similar breastfeeding issues.

On a lighter note, a funny toddler moment came out of all of this. I had an appointment with the lactation consultant at 10 am, and I was giving Cooper a quick bath before we left. I had Gracie completely ready, and I had just enough time to wash Cooper and throw my clothes on. I was really stressed (and literally feverish) because I wanted to get to my appointment on time. I was almost done with Cooper's bath, when I looked down at my daughter. Gracie had grabbed baby shampoo and rubbed it all in her hair! I about lost it. She was already dressed and now I had to wash her hair again and get her ready. I looked at her and said, "Graice, what have you done?" She looked at me and said, "It's ok Momma." Poor thing. She was just trying to help, and I had freaked out. I was not happy at the time, but now I laugh when I think about her standing there with her hair all spiked up with baby shampoo in it. By the way, yes, I was late to my appointment but I called ahead. The lactation consultant was very understanding, thank goodness.

2 comments:

Tractor Mom said...

Just love the Womanly Art of Breastdfeeding! I need to buy another copy! I have thought about becoming a lactation counsulant too! I just think there are not enough of them around here!

Glad the icky sore breast are better! Hamp just wean himself last month. He went 14 months while Knox went 15 months.


I've been trying to remember to leave the "milk room" open for you! I heard you got some kind of super pump that makes all kinds of noise! Do we need to sound proof the "milk room"?

Lauren said...

What? Loud pump? I've just got a Medela Pump in Style. No, I asked if Dr.Atkins could hear me talking in there. I call John on my pumping break and talk about what is going on at work that night. I was afraid that the people in the next room could hear my conversation.